ma vie en v.f.

Monday, October 11, 2004

First day with the students....

So, I've spent two weeks here in France...it seems much longer than that. Sunday I treid to go into Lille to visit the street market, but the bus never came....i waited and waited. I felt really bad, because I was supposed to meet another assistant in Lille at noon...and I had no way of getting in touch with him to let him know I wasn't coming. I emailed him today, I hope he's not mad!!! Sunday was spend lazily in Gondecourt. I felt like a needed a weekend like that, though, after coming down with a cold on thursday. Friday I had my immigration physical at the OMI. They took an xray of my chest (to make sure I don't have TB!) For the xray you have to remove your shirt and bra...but the French do not believe in little paper gowns like they do in america. So it was a very chilly and uncomfortable xray!! :) But it went well, the xray was normal, i got my official certificate (and I got to keep the xray!) and i got to talk about american politics with the doctor! The waiting room was filled with other assistants. They were all talking about apartment hunting (some have been looking for a month with no luck!). It makes me realize how lucky I am to have an apartment waiting for me when I arrived.
I talked to Mom on Saturday and my grandpa is doing well. Hopefully he'll be out of the hospital tomorrow.
Today was the first day in ALONE with the students. It went ok...but, they had a hard time listening. They talked a lot amongst themselves. It makes me realize that I need to have more activities to keep them occupied. Just having class discussions isn't going to work. But they did like learning about the american school system and seeing my yearbook and photographs. I have one more class this afternoon and then I can go home and crash!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

Nice Blog. I found the link from friendster (searched those who like the shins).
I went to UT as well ( I live in Austin). Do you know Jarle Lillemoen?
He was a post-doc in Dr. Johnson's lab at UT?

Doug

1:45 AM

 
Blogger Stephen said...

I suggest putting your X-ray on the fridge. I had it up all year in Lille, and now it's on my fridge at home in Canada :)

6:48 PM

 
Blogger Natalie, sans h. said...

stephen...hahaha...i'd do the same, but i have one of those mini fridges, and i think the xray is actually bigger than my refridgerator!!! it' pretty funny though, because i had on big earrings and they showed up on the xray. Maybe i'll have it framed...

doug...hmmm..i don't know your friend...dr johnson the immunology lab prof?

9:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home